Works in Progress


This is a cardigan for my brother Chris made from Araucunia yarn from Black Sheep Wools. The are 8 different colour combinations in bands of linen stitch and herringbone stitch. I am trying to sew the seams up so it will be reversible because I really like the backs of those two stitches.


Since I took up knitting, never has waiting been so pleasurable. The famously slow train service from the Illawarra to Sydney (a mere 60km takes 1 hour and 20 minutes +) is now an enjoyable experience¬† and an opportunity to knit! Pictured above is the front of Redmond’s ‘Men’s Alpaca Sweater’ on 3.75mm x 40cm circular needles sitting against the book, ‘Science of the Oven’ by Herv√© This, and an iShuffle loaded with selected podcasts. Read More

One of my current knitting projects is the Paton winter wrap (the one Eleanor spotted in Wollongong Spotlight in previous years. I now have it and happy to share). It uses a Paton yarn called Zhivargo, which I don’t really like, so I bought some Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran (colour: cornsilk) off eBay. It recommends a 6.0mm with the Zhivargo but after doing a tension square, I thought 6.5mm would be okay with the Silkroad Aran (I don’t know what I was thinking!) … Read More


This is the front of the Jo Sharp v-neck vest, knitted in the Sublime Merino, Cashmere, Silk DK yarn. Before starting I did some tension squares and that suggested that I should use larger needles than the 3.25mm suggested. I was getting the right tension with 3.5 mm needles so that was what I used. I also decided that the small would be too small (I am between the small and medium) so I kitted the medium. Unfortunately after nearly completing the front I measured the tension in the knitting and I was way over – I guess I knit tighter in my tension squares than normal. Once I had the front left done I measured it against myself and realised that it was going to be far too big. I couldn’t bear to rip it all out (the large amount of rib took a long time to knit), so I brought it up to Kidsgrove and measured it against MQ and it looks like it will fit her. So I’ve finished off the front and handed it over!