Finished Projects

IMG_4802 IMG_4804

These two vest knitted from lace weight yarn were each completed some time ago, so are now showing some signs of wear and a bit of shrinkage for the first one. More pictures and narrative below, including some lovely miniature daffodils!

Read More


Cotton Neat Vest
We were away in HK and Tokyo from December 2014 to mid-March 2015. I took some projects with me but it’s shocking to think I did not knit the whole time I was away except on the plane there and  back. So the first order of business when I returned was to finish off some projects. Read More

Here are a couple more knits I made in 2014 which I forgot I finished (how could I? I wore them constantly for months while I was away).


This cardigan is designed by Gudrun Johnston for Quince and Co using Chickadee with a 24s by 36r gauge. I used Louisa Harding Ianthe. It’s knitted bottom up to the arm openings, then front and back are knitted separately. The sleeves are knitted from picked up stitches. I really enjoyed knitting the lace pattern on the front. But I think it was the wrong yarn to use. I obtained the correct gauge but the fabric is too dense (the drape is not right). I have some Jo Sharp Alpaca Kid Lustre left over which I might use to knit another one probably with shorter sleeves (because I fall short just a little on the yardage specified).

Drops 128-34 Bolero
This DROPS’ 128-34 Bolero is knitted with Zealana Rimu (possum and merino), my friend, Su, bought me as a present. It’s a bottom-up all-in-one knitted on very long circular needles. Something went wrong with the increase and I ended up with a neckline that is too long, but I don’t mind (or just too lazy to rip it out and start over).

Here are some 2014 projects. As I am a bit lazy with posting, I will group them all together here in this entry. These are some smaller projects that used up the surplus yarn. (I noticed there was no post in 2014.)

This is a Jo Sharp’s Ribbed Shrug and I used the specified mohair yarn previously bought to knit some socks with. I gave this to my friend Louise as a gift.
Read More

I was inspired to learn to crochet when I came across the amazing and intricate works of the Japanese artist, Jung Jung. I simply cannot fathom how one can crochet DMC#60 embroidery thread with a 0.6mm crochet hook. So I started with a 3mm hook and some sport-weight cotton. I played with the patterns in Knot’s Itoami Plants. The book presents 12 basic patterns and the designs are permutations and variations of these basic shapes.

Broach for Linda
This is a two basic discs joined up and sewn onto the a broach. It was a gift for my friend’s, Eva, mother Linda.

A necklace for Hollis’s friend, Josie.

Another necklace for Josie with hedgehog buttons made out of mother of pearl for her to sew on herself.

Two broaches, an experiment using 4.0mm hook and DK yarn, gifts for my friend, Ali.


Jaunty was finished at the beginning of December, and has been worn a couple of times. It was knitted in Mirasol Sulka Legato (60% Merino Wool, 20% Alpaca, 20% Silk). The pattern called for using two strands of lace weight yarn but as this yarn is nearly double lace weight I just used one strand as I wanted it to be very light and lacy. The lace pattern on the sleeves is the first time I have tried lace knitting – it took all of my concentration (not for TV knitting!) and I did have to unpick the odd row, something I normally never have to do.

I was wearing this top to a PhD workshop recently and it was admired by a London College of Fashion student who is doing a practice-based PhD in “Self-regulating, knitted fabric system capable of moisture harvesting to establish an aeroponic micro-environment sustaining plant life” (so it is possible to do a PhD in knitting!!!). He particularly liked the use of cable to shape the fabric.

Read More