We were away in HK and Tokyo from December 2014 to mid-March 2015. I took some projects with me but it’s shocking to think I did not knit the whole time I was away except on the plane there and back. So the first order of business when I returned was to finish off some projects. Read More
Here are a couple more knits I made in 2014 which I forgot I finished (how could I? I wore them constantly for months while I was away).
This cardigan is designed by Gudrun Johnston for Quince and Co using Chickadee with a 24s by 36r gauge. I used Louisa Harding Ianthe. It’s knitted bottom up to the arm openings, then front and back are knitted separately. The sleeves are knitted from picked up stitches. I really enjoyed knitting the lace pattern on the front. But I think it was the wrong yarn to use. I obtained the correct gauge but the fabric is too dense (the drape is not right). I have some Jo Sharp Alpaca Kid Lustre left over which I might use to knit another one probably with shorter sleeves (because I fall short just a little on the yardage specified).
This DROPS’ 128-34 Bolero is knitted with Zealana Rimu (possum and merino), my friend, Su, bought me as a present. It’s a bottom-up all-in-one knitted on very long circular needles. Something went wrong with the increase and I ended up with a neckline that is too long, but I don’t mind (or just too lazy to rip it out and start over).
Here are some 2014 projects. As I am a bit lazy with posting, I will group them all together here in this entry. These are some smaller projects that used up the surplus yarn. (I noticed there was no post in 2014.)
This is a Jo Sharp’s Ribbed Shrug and I used the specified mohair yarn previously bought to knit some socks with. I gave this to my friend Louise as a gift.
Here’s the long over-due documentation of some hand-dying over Easter 2014:
The spools of wool and silk Eleanor bought were first unwound and wound into skeins. These skeins were then soaked and put into the hot dye. We also tried a bit of ‘tie-dyeing’ and uneven dyeing.
I was inspired to learn to crochet when I came across the amazing and intricate works of the Japanese artist, Jung Jung. I simply cannot fathom how one can crochet DMC#60 embroidery thread with a 0.6mm crochet hook. So I started with a 3mm hook and some sport-weight cotton. I played with the patterns in Knot’s Itoami Plants. The book presents 12 basic patterns and the designs are permutations and variations of these basic shapes.