I knitted some of the Christmas baubles from the Black Sheep Wools pattern posted previously. They were much admired – knitted baubles seem to be in fashion at the moment. I averaged two a night and made 10 in total.
This was adapted from the following drops pattern:
The adaptation involved:
- no lacework at waist in other yarn (replaced with garter stitch)
- no double cuffs and a narrower cuff (56 stitches, not 80)
- cowl neck (knitted approx. 12cm, not 7 rows)
The omission of the lacework and the waist tie meant that it was looser at the waist. Also, I knitted it on the specified size needles so I think with my loose tension it is larger than it should be (I knitted the smallest version). However, even with it less fitted it is still nice, and very warm, despite being almost not there! I think I only used just over three 25g balls. It is slightly hard to knit as it is like knitting with cobweb – the yarn is so fine that I needed to adjust the way I ran it through my hand as there was too much drag in the way I normally hold the yarn. This may have added to the looseness of the knitting.
After the success of the Drops black cardigan I embarked on this Jo Sharp on using the Jo Sharp Kid Lustre yarn MQ got me for my birthday. I borrowed MQs lovely Japanese Clover 3.75mm bamboo needles as my tension is slightly loose so the 4mm needles specified in the pattern were too large. My tension still came out slightly large with about 21.5 stitches rather than 22.5, however the finished garment seems smaller than it does on the modelled photos on the pattern. In particular it is a lot shorter than the photo shows, which is odd as the body length to the armholes is knitted to a set length – bizarrely the underarm to hem measurement on the finished garment is about 4cm shorter than the pattern set (and which I would have knitted to). In the end this is fine as it makes it quite fitted.
The yarn is lovely to knit, especially on those needles. The only issue is that the yarn had a lot of knots in it, probably nearly every ball. Whenever I came across one of those I undid the knot and made a join at the end of the row as I didn’t want the knot appearing in the middle of a row – this sometimes meant unpicking most of a row when a knot just happend to appear near the end of a row. The sewing up was finished on Christmas eve, with the sewing in of ends done on Christmas day. There were a lot of ends to sew in as it uses quite a few balls of wool. I sewed it up with mattress stitch, not the specified backstitch.
This was finished in the summer, but hasn’t been photographed until now (it’s pilling slightly already, but I do wear it a lot). It was without buttons for a while but I eventually got around to sewing on the mother of pearl ones and in the cold weather I find it good to be able to button it up. It has one more button and button hole that the pattern called for.
It is knitted with the drops alpaca yarn that the pattern calls for, and I think on the correct size (3.5mm) needles, and the sizing is correct. It is beautiful and soft, and warm when worn. The only problem it that it is slippery on the needles and will slip off if you’re not careful. It is also very hard to pick up stitches if you rip them out as it really wants to drop stitches.